Friday 9 January 2015

My Failure as a Raider of the Lost (?) Ark

Bahar Dar was not a town I had done much (let’s be honest – any) research on because my journey here was purely due to the fact that it was cheaper and easier to fly out of here to Addis than from Lalibela.  Gashu had told me yesterday about a series of monasteries here – one of which was a place where the Ark of the Covenant was allegedly kept for about 800 years, so I figured it was worth the day trip to go see this place.

A day on the lake is always worth it

The story behind the Ark being in Ethiopia goes back to the days of Solomon.  The Queen of Sheba heard about how great of a dude Solomon was, so she went to Israel to meet him.  The two of them hit it off, and after she returned home to her kingdom, she gave birth to his son, Menelik.  Eventually Menelik wanted to meet his dad, so he went to Israel himself.  Solomon took a shine to his kid, and decided that when Menelik went back to Ethiopia he would send the Ark of the Covenant with him to protect him (along with 12,000 Israelis). Menelik put the Ark at the monastery on Lake Tana, where it stayed for hundreds of years, until another king decided he wanted the Ark to be closer to him and moved it to Axum, where it remains to this day. Of course, no one is allowed to see the Ark except for one or two senior clergymen at the church where it remains, but all of Ethiopia and the Coptic Christians here believe the true Ark is there. 

With the Indiana Jones theme music playing in my head, I arrange for a tour to go see the monastery on Lake Tana where the Ark used to be kept before it was moved to Axum.  I don’t know the name of the monastery per se, so instead I ask to be taken to the famous monastery, and clarify “the one with the Ark.” And they said “yes, yes – we’ll take you there.”  We take a small boat across the lake – which is coincidentally both the largest lake in Ethiopia and the source of the Nile river.  The lake is dotted with islands, most of which have monasteries on them.  The boat ride takes about an hour, and we dock at what appears to be a large island in the lake, but turns out to be a peninsula.  There we meet a local guide who takes me to the monastery.  As we’re walking, I ask about the Ark and the guide clarifies that this isn’t the monastery where the true Ark was kept, but they have a replica of it here.  Shoot.  I was really looking forward to having my Indiana Jones moment.  Apparently that monastery is further away (the lake is really big), and it isn’t frequented by tourists because the original monastery was destroyed and so what stands there now is a much more recent rebuilt version.  I’m disappointed, but decide to make the most of this trip anyway. 
Because fiftheenth century paintings are just as cool as the Ark...right?  Actually, yeah they were pretty great...

We walk uphill through a coffee plantation and other foliage to get to the monastery.  The path is incredibly rocky, so I have to be careful not to trip break a kneecap or something.   Because if I’m going to trip and fall, of course it would be an hour boat ride away from civilization.  Plus I don’t want to be “that girl.”  

While good at building monasteries, they haven't quite mastered the art of leveling roads


Anyway, the monastery turns out to be absolutely beautiful and worth the trip – even though the replica Ark is kept in the sanctuary, where no one can see it.  It’s circular in shape, and built of hardened mud and straw on the inside and wood on the outside.  Like all Ethiopian churches, it has 3 sections – the outer section where all of the chanting is done (and the drums are played), the middle section where communion is taken, and the sanctuary, where no one is allowed except clergy and other special people.  In this circular church, the three sections are rings, with the center of the building being the sanctuary.  This monastery was built in the fourteenth century and has been beautifully painted with murals depicting various religious stories all throughout. Fun fact: the painting was done with natural colors extracted from plants grown locally

Like these!

Some of the stories are easy for me to recognize – like the nativity scene, or Lazarus being raised from the dead, or Moses crossing the Red Sea.  Other scenes are less familiar, and it turns out it is because they are from some of the “supplemental” books to the Bible that the Coptic church teaches (but which other branches of Christianity ignore).  For example, one of the murals depicted a man who was a cannibal and ate 78 people, but he also gave a drop of water to a thirsty person in the name of Mary, and so when he died, Mary decided he could go to heaven because of the one kind act that he did in his life. 

No cannibals in this painting.  Just lots of guys with spears.

One interesting point about the artwork was that the artists would depict people straight on (e.g. you can see both of their eyes) if they were a good and righteous person, but if the person had bad moral character, then they would be shown in a profile view (e.g. only 1 eye).  I’m not sure how these artists would have treated Tiki.  Maybe they would have used their artistic license to give her back her other eye…

Something's telling me that the artist didn't like this person...oh wait - he only has 1 eye!

After wandering around the monastery for a bit, we started walking back to the boat.  I spotted a monkey along the path and wanted to take a photo, but it started running away, and so naturally I start chasing it.  The Ethiopian people selling trinkets outside the monastery thought it was hilarious – me running after the monkey with my camera in my hand shouting “Wait! Wait! Stand still!”  So much for not being “that girl.” 

But I'm cute so I get away with it

Next we take the boat back, but first we stop off at the place in Lake Tana where the Nile river begins.  My guide had told me that hippos like to hang out in that area, but that seeing them is hit or miss.  Thankfully my luck took a turn for the better, because when we get to the area where the Nile begins, we spot not one but two hippos, swimming side by side!  The boat allows the hippos to get pretty close to us – a stone’s throw away maybe.  In that moment I was acutely aware of a random fact I heard somewhere – that hippos cause more deaths in Africa than any other type of animal.  Thankfully, these two didn’t seem too interested in our boat, and instead they just kept swimming along.  They were a lot bigger than I had expected – we only saw their heads and they were massive! 

I wasn't able to collect enough data to determine whether they were hungry, hungry...simply hungry, or if they had just eaten.

After we get back to Bahar Dar, my guide asks me if I have time to have coffee.  By this point, all I had eaten today was a banana, so I tell him I’d actually love to grab a bite to eat if he has a place to recommend.  He takes me to a coffee house, which also serves food.  The menu makes absolutely no sense – the translations from Amharic to English script aren’t very descriptive, and I’m not feeling particularly adventurous about this “authentic Ethopian” restaurant today.  I tell the guide I’m vegetarian, and he tells me that my only real option is either a bean powder (um…no), or pasta.  Surprisingly, most places in Ethiopia offer pasta on their menus.  I’m guessing this has to do with the brief Italian occupation of the country from 1935-41, but in this case I’m thankful for the option.  I order “spaghetti with tomato” and am pleasantly surprised by the spicy arribiatta sauce that comes on the pasta.  We sit and drink Ethopian coffee out of their traditional serving jars and chat about Bahar Dar and what it’s like to grow up here.

The rest of the day was spent in travel back to Addis.  I meet a group of American guys on my flight who are traveling around Ethiopia together on vacation because their grandparents emigrated to the States from here in the 60’s.  It’s nice to chat with some fellow Americans.  While I enjoy traveling alone, it gets lonely sometimes.  I end up being seated next to them on the flight too, so we talk a lot about what we’ve done and seen in Ethiopia. They asked me if I wanted to go clubbing with them tonight in Addis, but I figured the smart move would be to prioritize sleep over partying.  

We land in Addis and I’m met at the airport by a driver from the Sheraton.  Apparently the Sheraton in Addis is reallllly nice, so they inform me that my limo is waiting for me.  They then apologize because they are short on limos and so would it be ok if I shared with two other people who just arrived as well?  While the idea of a limo sounds nice, it turns out to be a Volvo limo from about 1973.  Still, it’s better than a tuk tuk!  The Sheraton is indeed absolutely gorgeous, and due to my (still lingering) status with Starwood hotels, they’ve upgraded me to a corner suite.  My hotel in Bahar Dar was so gross that I didn’t even take a shower yesterday.  By comparison, the Sheraton is a veritable oasis, awash with luxury in the form of clean linens and high speed internet.  God bless the Sheraton.

Sheraton Addis — city, country
If this place had a theme song, it would be Handel's Messiah...


No comments:

Post a Comment