Friday 9 January 2015

Lalibela? More like Lali-bellissima!

The churches of Lalibela were the reason I came here in the first place.  Today I was able to visit 7 of the  11 monolithic rock churches present in the city.  When I say monolithic, I’m not being hyperbolic – these churches were each carved out of a single piece of stone.  The fact that this was done in the mid-twelfth century makes it even more impressive.


Beat that, Petra!

Before I could see the churches, first I had to figure out how I was going to get to Bahar Dar tonight.  The hotel in Lalibela was charging me $170 USD per night to stay there, which made sense on Christmas day because of all of the pilgrims in town, but today it made little sense.  The only flight to Addis I could get is from Bahar Dar, a town that’s about a 5-7 hour drive away from here, and my research had told me that there are plenty of private mini-buses that go back and forth between the towns.  I had asked the hotel front desk to arrange a ride for me when I checked in yesterday, but as of this morning he still hadn’t been able to find me one.  I’m honestly not sure how hard he was looking because he kept telling me I should take the public bus to there.  While I’m always game for an adventure (and a public bus through rural Ethiopia would certainly be just that), there are no direct buses between the two towns, and I was worried about how the transfer between buses would go for me without anyone to translate.  The shared mini-buses are apparently a thing, but the hotel either couldn’t find one that was leaving in the evening (which is when I wanted to leave), or they didn’t know who to call to ask.  Anyway, this morning the front desk clerk passed me off to another hotel employee who apparently is higher up the food chain to help me arrange for transportation.  The cell service in the hotel kept breaking up, so he and I had to go stand on top of a hill outside the hotel so that he could get service as he was calling a bunch of people looking to book me a ride.  I had read that hiring a private car should cost about $150 USD per day and was prepared to pay that much, and he told me that it was all a matter of negotiation to get to the right price.  The 3 hours that we spent with him on the phone and me standing next to him giving negotiating directions felt like a waste of time because we weren’t getting anywhere.  People kept quoting him prices of $250 USD because it’s close to a holiday, but he kept telling me that the surge pricing around here ends after Christmas Day, so I should be able to get a lower price.  Finally we found someone who was willing to go down as far as $175, but by this point I was tired and hungry and frustrated, so I dug my heels in and said no deal.  All of the public buses leave at 5 am, so my backup plan was to stay in Lalibela another night and then leave first thing in the morning to get to Bahar Dar by early afternoon.   That would still give me plenty of time to make my flight at 7 pm.  The only problem is that my hotel is fully booked – they had already sold my room to someone else, so if I stayed another night I would have to go to a different hotel.  This shouldn’t be an issue, though, since everyone seemed to have left town after the holiday so I should be able to find a room.  The hotel had 2 rooms they were holding for other guests who hadn’t yet arrived, so they told me they would keep me posted on whether either of those rooms cancelled.

By this point, it was about 1 pm and I still hadn’t seen the churches, so the hotel manager said he would keep working on it and in the meantime I could go see the churches – with the private guide arranged for by the hotel, of course.  The guide was the same guy who picked me up from the airport yesterday – Gashu – who seemed to be a pleasant enough fellow.  The churches are all built close to one another, which made it easy to see so many in one visit.  My guide’s English was heavily accented, so I am not sure I caught everything he was telling me, but I’ll give it my best shot to record what I learned. 


Lesson one: monolith = big-ass rock

The churches were built in the 1100’s by King Lalibela.  Lalibela was actually a younger son of the previous king, but when he was born, a swarm of bees flew around his face and this signified that he was going to be a great leader.  His older step-brother didn’t like this very much and so he had to leave the country to go into exile.  He went to Jerusalem and other parts of the Holy Land, which would later influence his decision to create a holy city in Africa.  He returned back to Ethiopia and there the story gets a little murky.  The church’s version is that his step-brother poisoned him, but it didn’t kill him.  Instead he slept for 3 days and then was resurrected on the 3rd day.  This scared the hell out of his step-brother, who decided it was time to become a hermit and renounce his throne and all worldly pleasures.  Regardless of whether this actually happened or not, Lalibela returned to Ethiopia and claimed his crown.  He spent ~25 years of his 40 year reign building these churches.  Apparently he had a vision resulting from an attack on a train of pilgrims headed to Jerusalem and he decided he would build his own holy city so that African pilgrims could be safer as they journeyed to pray. 

St George's - the most famous (and most beautiful) of the Lalibela churches

He bought some land in the mountains from a landowner for a handful of gold and some oxen, and there he started carving his churches directly out of the mountain.  The most famous church is also the last one that he built – St. George’s – which is shaped like a cross.  In this one, he took all of the knowledge he had gained to make a masterpiece.
Of the 7 churches we toured, they all had their own little quirks and interesting tidbits.  Sadly not all of the details in the churches have been well preserved.  There were some frescoes that were badly deteriorated, and other paintings and pieces of artwork looked dirty and in need of restoration.  St. Mary’s had a pool of fertility which barren women bathe in on high holidays.  My guide swears that it works and that women who couldn’t conceive before get pregnant shortly after taking a dip 3 times in this 9 meter deep pool.  He pointed out how all the algae on the surface has been disturbed from all of the dips that people took yesterday on Christmas.  He notices I don’t take a photo (because it’s basically a hole in the ground with water and algae) and starts to ask me questions about whether and when I want to have babies, so I snap a quick photo to shut him up.

After jumping in, you get to have babies, not cholera.  Well, maybe a little cholera.

One of the weirder features of one of the churches was an open grave.  Apparently 3 pilgrims came to Lalibela sometime in the eighteenth century and asked to be buried there. They qualified as being holy men because they had been baptized in the Jordan River (?), so Lalibela allowed them to be interred there.  The problem is that they weren't exactly interred - instead their bodies were just placed in a small cave next to one of the churches.  Over the years, people would mess with the bodies, so now they have put a small screen in place to protect them from further molestation.  But otherwise they're still open to the world - just three dead guys in a cave.  

The screen doesn't cover the entire entry, so it was easy to snap an unobstructed (though admittedly creepy) photo.  At least Gashu didn't make me pose with them...

Between two of the churches there was a tunnel, which was used by the priests to carry sensitive church communications back and forth.  He asks me if I’m willing to walk through it to get to the other church, and of course I say I’m game.  The tunnel is carved directly into the mountain with barely enough room for me to stand up straight.  Like everywhere in the complex, the floor was not smooth but chiseled roughly and with plenty of edges for me to trip on.  Oh and it was downhill and slippery.  And it was dark.  Really dark. Pitch black actually.  Gashu reassures me that he knows the way like the back of his hand, so off we go with him leading and me gripping his shoulder like a vice.  As we are inching our way through the darkness, he starts singing one of the traditional Coptic chants that the priests sing during services at the church.  The acoustics of the tunnel made it echo beautifully, but I only wish I hadn’t been so frightened of tripping and breaking my neck that I could have enjoyed the surreal moment a little bit more.

All of the churches were rife with ancient symbolism.  Apparently Lalibela had traveled around a lot during his exile, so there were different crosses from the Maltese Cross to the swastika dotting the buildings.   On one church, there were three crosses carved into the side of it side by side, meant to represent Jesus and the two thieves.  The one on the right represents the thief who asked Jesus “when you go to meet your father, think of me?” and as a result there is a window above his cross that shows he went to heaven. By comparison, the thief on the left has a window below his cross, so we can all guess where Lalibela thinks he went after he died.

Sucks to be the guy on the left

One of the churches has the body of Lalibela himself, but it is in a segment of the church that is not accessible to women.  The rest of the church areas were all co-ed, but apparently this area is not open to women because we are all related to Mary Magdalene or some bullshit like that.  I get annoyed by sexism but respectfully didn’t enter that chamber.  Instead Gashu went in there for me and took some photos of the reliefs of the 12 apostles that decorate that chamber.

And one of me looking longingly into the chamber that my dirty lady bits prohibit me from entering

Each church had a priest in attendance, and in a few of them the priest would go behind a curtain to the sanctuary (where tourists aren’t allowed) and bring back the cross from the altar.  Gashu would kiss the cross several times and the priest would touch the cross to his forehead as a blessing.  Gashu asks me if I am a Christian because I can be blessed as well.  I reply yes, but I’m a Protestant and we don’t do that type of thing.  He chuckles but doesn’t push the matter.  One of the priests let me take a photo with him and the cross though – each of the crosses were original to the twelfth century and beautiful in their intricacy.  Lalibela apparently designed each of them himself (though I’m not sure I believe that – Gashu may have been making up an answer to my question).  Regardless, they’re unique and very cool.  Each cross was laden with symbolism, ranging from the 4 gospels to the 12 apostles and more. 

I'm not sure what conclusions I should draw from the lighting in this photo

We exit the church compound through the original entrance – essentially a pathway carved into the mountain leading up to an ornate gateway that represents the tomb of Adam.  Throughout the day, Gashu has been volunteering regularly to take my photo next to the things we were looking at, which was nice.  By this point, however, he starts to creep me out a little bit by saying things like “wow look at you – so beautiful” and then proceed to take 30 photos of me from the exact same angle with the exact same stance.  As we’re walking out, he starts to ask me who I live with back home, and I make up a story about a husband.  Bullet dodged.

In case I accidentally delete this photo, it's fine because I have 29 more...

I get back to the hotel and am hoping that they would have found me a ride to Bahar Dar at the price I wanted.  There were several other drivers he was negotiating with, so I was hoping at least one of them was in a compromising mood.  When I get back, the first thing the guy at the front desk tells me is that one of the reservations cancelled for the night, so I am welcome to stay there.  When I ask about a car, he says he doesn’t know. UGH.  It seems that as soon as they realized they had a vacancy, they stopped looking for a ride for me because they would rather take my money than help me get to where I need to go.  I have the front desk summon the manager so that I can tell him I’m willing to take the $175 price.  After all, $25 isn’t a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, and by this point I’m ready to get out of this hotel because they’re frustrating me.

Before I leave, first I need to get something to eat.  All I’ve had today was a granola bar and some Sprite, which do not a balanced diet make.  I head off to a restaurant recommended by my American friends at dinner last night, which is perched on the side of a cliff overlooking the valley below.  It’s a really funky building – with spiral stepped ramps rather than staircases, but it has a quirky charm to it.  I order a few Ethiopian specialties and read my book as the sun sets over the valley.  Lalibela is truly a beautiful place – bellissima actually – but I am ready to continue my journey elsewhere. 

Quirky cliffside dining.  Just hope that it doesn't rain...

Finally, the car arrives.  The hotel staff load my stuff into it, and as I am walking toward the car, another man approaches me.  I’ve seen him around the hotel and guess that he’s a boss of one kind or another.  He says “You’ve caused us some problems today by leaving early.  We had a room ready for you and now instead that room is going to go empty tonight.”  I was stunned.  Was this guy really complaining to me that I wasn’t staying in his hotel tonight?  What did he want me to do – pay him for a room I wasn’t going to use?  I then explain to him that the people he should be upset with is whomever cancelled and left that room open for my use, since they had told me that they had already sold my room this morning.  Apparently he wasn’t aware of how things had progressed, but he kept pushing back at me and telling me that I was screwing him over by leaving tonight instead of tomorrow.  After some back and forth, he realizes he’s in the wrong and says “well in that case, have a safe journey.”  No apologies, and certainly no self-awareness that he’s just lost a good review on Trip Advisor by complaining to his customer about his room utilization rates.  The worst part was when he was telling me he had given me a lower rate because I originally booked for 2 nights, but I know now (after hanging out at reception all morning) that people checking in to the hotel today were paying only $65 a night, and he was going to charge me $150.  Sorry buddy, but I’m not sorry that I’m leaving before you can extort more money out of me.  The nerve!

The last adventure of the day is the car ride to Bahar Dar.  The car turns out to be an old, rickety mini-bus (think like a Volkswagen but not as nice).  My driver introduces himself as Aptamu, which I can only remember because it sounds like the beginning of the word “optometrist.”  After we set off, he picks up another guy who he introduces as his “friend.”  Apparently the two of them will be splitting the driving duties.  As we drive out of the town and into the middle of nowhere, I find myself wondering whether this was indeed the best decision.  Yes, the public bus would be crowded and dirty and I might get robbed, but riding alone with two men on dirt roads with no one for miles doesn’t sound much safer.  I reassure myself that at least my hotel knows the guy’s name, so he is unlikely to rape/murder/otherwise assault me and leave me for dead in the middle of the bush because I could be traced back to him.  I text my mom a few breadcrumbs in case she needs them and hope for the best.

At first I thought I would be able to sleep on this drive.  After all, I have 4 rows of bench seating all to myself.  I lay down in the front row for about an hour and am immediately creeped out when Aptamu rubs my thigh when he talks to me.  On the one hand, it could be an innocent way of getting my attention.  On the other, I don’t like it.  I don’t like people I KNOW touching me sometimes, let alone a complete stranger when I’m in a vulnerable position.  The first time I let it slide, thinking it was me being oversensitive.  The second time, I pulled my leg back so he would stop.  After the third time, I was sufficiently creeped out that I moved to the back row of the bus, far away from Mr. Handsy in the front.
The drive itself was a bit of an adventure as well.  The road was EXTREMELY bumpy.  In its best condition, it would be a packed dirt road.  In its worst, it was like off-roading in a 4WD – except we weren’t in a 4WD but an ancient minibus.  With every bump and pothole, I was praying that we wouldn’t blow a tire and be stranded in the middle of the African wilderness.  At one point, the road was filled with constant little bumps, so the driver turned around and joked “See – you get a free 20 minute massage!”  This was before the leg groping, so I chuckled at his joke.  After that bumpy segment, I realized that nature was calling, and I knew it couldn’t wait another 4 hours.  I asked the driver to pull over by a clump of trees, and excused myself to take care of business.  Hoping with all my might that the creepy driver wasn’t looking in my direction, I looked up at the night sky and saw more stars than I had ever seen in my life.  For a brief moment I wanted to stay there and stargaze, but then realized that was a terrible idea because Mr. Handsy would probably take it as an invitation of a personal nature.  So on we drove.

The drive took about 5.5 hours in total – not bad, given the state of the roads.  When we got to my hotel in Bahar Dar, I got out 3,500 Ethiopian Birr to pay the driver.  He starts arguing with me that we had agreed to 4,000 (essentially another $25 USD).  At this point we’re standing in a small parking lot next to the hotel, with the security guard (and his loaded rifle) looking at us with confusion, so I ask if we can move inside to continue the discussion.  Apparently my hotel contact in Lalibela told him a price of 4,000, when I am positive he told me the lower price.  I tell the driver that he should call the hotel contact so we can resolve the dispute, and quietly grab my suitcases and move toward the front desk as he looks up the phone number.  The driver and his friend accompany me inside, arguing and yelling at me in Amharic (the local language).  The hotel front desk clerk seems surprised by our rude entry, but after I calmly explain the situation and tell him we need to contact the hotel in Lalibela to confirm the price, I ask if they would check me in while we are waiting to get the phone number.  The hotel clerk sees where I’m going with this, and checks me in and brings over a bellman to carry my luggage to my room with me.  Once I get into my room and have the door locked behind me, there is no way I’m going back downstairs to settle the dispute with the driver!  In my mind, either 1. He is lying and trying to get more money out of me, or 2. The hotel contact screwed up and told him the wrong price, which makes him liable to pay the difference rather than me.  I felt  a brief moment of pity for the driver, if he was losing money on this trip because I know that the extra $25 means a lot more to him than it does to me, but then I remembered the leg groping, and so the moment passed.  I could see the minibus from my room window, and after about 20 minutes, it was gone.  He must have realized I wasn't coming back down - or perhaps he reached the hotel contact who confirmed the 3,500 price.  Either way,  phew – crisis averted.  Now time for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment